Starting in September 2019 DeepWater began a partnership with Food for the Hungry. Through our partnership with FH DeepWater will be able to share the Gospel of Jesus in our words and actions as we participate in child sponsorship and mission trips that will allow us to partner with a community as they seek to graduate from extreme poverty.
Our partner community is called Los Bostados and as you see in the picture (left) it is located on the western part of the Dominican Republic. The city has approximately 1,200-1,400 residents with 92% of households in overall poverty and 6% in extreme poverty. There are local churches present in Los Bostados and our partnership will help strengthen these local churches capacity to better disciple their congregation.
By partnering with FH, together we will walk alongside families, church leaders and community leaders to create solutions for overcoming life-threatening poverty. In December of this year we will take a small team on a Vision Trip and while on this trip the team will meet with community leaders to better understand the needs of the community.
So how can you get involved now?
Step 1 - Pray for Los Bostados
Step 2 - Sponsor a child from Los Bostados - this is a $38 a month commitment, but a very tangible way to begin to love this community.
Step 3 - Consider participating in a trip - the tentative date of our first trip is April 4-9, 2020
Would you like more information on one of the above steps? Email email@example.com
We love our city. It is our belief that God designates a church to a specific place because he desires for his people to be a blessing and to share his Good News. Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island are our focal areas to be a light for Christ and so we focus much of our missional outreach to these islands. We continue to seek God as he shows us how to make an impact in a community that seems to have very few needs at fist glance. Some of the following are ways that we are connecting with our community and we are open-handed about how to make an impact moving forward.
- Involvement in Sullivan's Island Elementary School - teacher lunches & encouragement, volunteering at events
- Involvement in Isle of Palms Recreation Department - sponsoring teams, faith family members coaching
- Involvement in local events - hosting booths at festivals, volunteering at charity events, throwing large parties in the local park with free food and fun
- Sponsoring community prayer service in collaboration with other island churches
- Financial support to two Charleston church plants - Uptown Church & Live Oak Church